Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Traveling after Teaching (Ko Phi Phi)






On the boat ride I sat down next to a tall guy who looked about my age. After a few minutes we started talking. His name was Ben and he was from Leeds, England. Ben apparently hadn’t booked anywhere to stay, so after we got off the boat we just headed to the place that I reserved and there was plenty of room open. Ben and I got situated, grabbed some beers and went down to the beach. Ben has to be one of the most outgoing people I’ve ever met. He talked my ear off. He had just spent a year backpacking and working around Australia and told me all about it. He was planning on going to Canada in the fall to do the same. There’s one thing he told me that I don’t think I’ll ever forget and that’s when he asked me, “You know what I think life is all about, mate? Just having a good f***ing laugh.” For as short of a time that I was around Ben, there are not many people who were more influential on my life than he was. There are certainly flaws in his life motto, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a lot of merit to it. Clearly, some people take life too seriously…Ben is just not one of them.
He’s also not the first person I’ve talked to who has been backpacking around Australia. My friend Nate, who was a student at my school, had just finished doing it before he came to China. Everyone I’ve talked to about it has had great experiences…hmm (the gears are turning…).
To continue the theme of my after teaching travels of “firsts”, I snorkeled for the first time while I was on Ko Phi Phi. They took us out one what seemed to be a souped up fishing boat. We went to nearby islands and saw coral reefs, extraordinarily colored fish, and other forms of ocean life. At one point, a South African on my boat exclaimed, “You know, I’ve been to the Barrier Reef in Australia, but the snorkeling here takes the cake.” I felt pretty good about my first snorkeling experience getting that much credit from someone who was obviously more experienced than I was.
Besides snorkeling, we didn’t do much else besides lounge on the beach, eat, and party. Ko Phi Phi is essentially a party island. People come there to enjoy their world famous beaches during the days and to party during the nights. While we were there, there was something called a Full Moon Party. As one may infer, there is a Full Moon Party every time there is a full moon. On these nights the bars are packed and they all have absurd drink specials. Luckily, there was a Full Moon Party while we were there and we headed towards the open-air clubs on the beaches. I can’t remember the last time I danced that much or with that much vigor. The world might have well have been ending. Before all the dancing, however, there were fire breathers and throwers, a flaming jump rope, and a flaming limbo…basically lots of fire. You can see the pictures off to the side that they don’t take their fire lightly in Thailand.
Other than that, a big attraction on Ko Phi Phi was the bar called Reggae Bar. Patrons had the option of fighting REAL Thai kick boxers for the chance of getting free drinks (you just had to fight one to get a drink, not win). Also, drunk friends would fight each other for free drinks, so it was always entertaining. There were some really good matches!
Last but not least, I had the absolute best Pad Thai that I have ever had in my life…and it was from the cheapest restaurant on the island!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home